Everything beings with God
SOONER OR LATER, every person asks three basic questions: Who am I? Why am I here? And where am I am going?
Other questions, too, arise: How did the Earth get here? How did the stars – the universe – get here?
And at some point, each person is also confronted with another deep question: Is there God? Is He the one who created the universe, this world, human beings, everything I see – and me? Or did everything come into being by sheer, blind chance? Are people here because we evolved from a lower forms of life?
And if there is God, what is He like?
Friends, one book hold the answer to all these questions: The Bible. Let explore what the Bible says:
- WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT GOD? GENESIS 1:1 The very first verse of the Bible says that God exists – and that he created this earth and the universe. It doesn’t try to prove that God exists but simply that He does. By the time one reads the entire Bible, enough evidence has been presented to provide basis for a choice of faith that God truly exists and is who He says He is.
- HOW LONG HAS GOD EXISTED? HOW LONG WILL HE EXIST? PSALM 90:2; 102:24-27 It may be difficult – even impossible – to really understand the idea of existing forever. Everything we know in this life has a beginning and an ending. But this is one great difference between God the Creator and the beings He has created. He is eternal and immortal. We are mortal ~ so we are born, then die. But though everyone of us has a beginning, God has made it possible for us to live with him forever if we accept what He offers us.
- WHERE IS GOD? WHERE IN THIS UNIVERSE DOES HE LIVES? 1KING 8:30. Just where Heaven is, the Bible doesn’t say. But God’s Word does offer descriptions here and there of what it is like. And once time ends on this Earth and eternity begins, we who have accepted the salvation God offers us will be taken to live with Him in that perfect place of peace and joy.
- THE BIBLE SAYS GOD IS ONE GOD – but three Persons. We have come to call this the “Trinity.” Who are the three Persons of the Godhead? Deuteronomy 6:4; Matthew 28:19; 2 Corinthians 13:14; 1 Peter 1.2. One God:Father Son, and Holy Spirit. One in unity, purpose, and character yet each is a distinct Person.
- WHAT ARE SOME OF THE UNIQUE CHARACTERISTIC OF GOD THAT SET HIM APART FROM ALL THE BEINGS HE HAS CREATED?
- His character: I John 4:8.
- His power: Genesis 18:14, Job 42.2, Matthew 19:26.
- His knowledge: 1 Samuel 2:3, Psalm 147:5, John 16:3
- His Presence: Psalm 139:7-12; 1Kings 8:27, Jeremiah 23:23,24. God his all – loving, all – powerful (omnipotent), all – knowing (omniscience), and everywhere present (omnipresent). No one else in the universe has these Characteristics. They belong – and always will to God alone.
ONE OF GOD’S CHARACTERISTICS IS THAT HE IS ALL – LOVING. HOW DID HE MOST CLEARLY DEMONSTRATE HIS LOVE FOR YOU AND ME?
For God so love the world, that He gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.